Gamma Sigma Sigma
In October of 1952, representatives from eight colleges and universities met at Beekman Towers in New York City to organize a nationally-based service organization.Represented were: Boston University, Brooklyn College, the Drexel Institute of Technology, Los Angeles City College, New York University, Queens College, the University of Houston, and the University of Miami. The group drafted a constitution, which later became the bylaws (which are reviewed and revised at each National Convention), elected the first National Board of Directors (NBD), and adopted a name for their organization. “Girl’s Service Sorority”, or GSS, translated to the Greek, Gamma Sigma Sigma.
More than fifty years later, the Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority, continues to make an enormous impact on campuses and communities nationwide, carrying on a tradition of Unity in Service while celebrating its golden milestone. Each year, sorority members contribute thousands of hours to unlimited projects across the country, reporting millions of hours throughout its history.
Today, we’re several thousand members strong with active collegiate and alumni chapters, colonies and interest groups in seven United States districts -- and growing. New pledge classes are held each semester on campuses everywhere, and new colonies and chapters appear annually. After graduation, alumni members continue to serve in their communities as members-at-large, or as integrated in regional alumni chapters. Many alumni continue to serve the national organization as well, in roles on the National Board of Directors, National Staff, and as advisors to collegiate members.
The governing body of Gamma Sigma Sigma is the National Convention, held biennially in odd-numbered years.
The National Board of Directors, elected at each National Convention, coordinates sorority activities in accordance with organizational bylaws and policy. National staff members assist in administrative functions.