Wildcat Student Center Policies
Facility Usage Policy
As a private institution of higher education, Bethune-Cookman University seeks to balance its mission with its commitment of service to the broader community. The facilities of Bethune-Cookman University exist for the primary purpose of education, research, and public service. However, when available space allows, we are committed to making our facilities available to internal and external groups and organizations whose purpose is consistent with the University’s mission.
All facilities are property of Bethune-Cookman University. Specifically, there is no department or individual “ownership” of space. The configuration of space assignments may change from time to time as needs and opportunities change, and it is inevitable that patrons may at times be confronted with required changes that are less than desirable from their individual view points or interests. At all times the university maintains the right to determine which activities are appropriate to be held on campus.
Priority for the use of a specific facility within the context of the purpose for which the facility was designed (i.e. fitness center, student lounge, graduate seminar, game, presidents’ banquet rooms and etc…), is given first as follows:
- Student activities and events
- Academic programming
- University sponsored events
- External activities and events
General Student Center Policy
- The Student Center is a smoke free facility.
- No animals are allowed in the Student Center, except for assistive dogs carrying out their assignment.
- The Student Center adheres to a strict policy of inclusiveness and respect for all individuals. We expect all persons to feel welcome, safe and accommodated to the best of our ability.
- Bicycles, skateboards, skates/rollerblades, or any other conveyance are prohibited in the Student Center.
- No weapons, or any object which could cause injury or damage to a person, may be brought in to the Student Center.
- Gourmet Services must provide any food provided in the Student Center unless Gourmet Services grant a specific exemption.
- The possession or use of alcoholic beverages is not allowed in the Student Center at any time.
- All meetings, including numbers in attendance, must be in compliance with Fire and Life Safety Standards. Inquiries must be directed to the Assistant Dean of Students.
- No exit or entry to any room, or the exterior doors may be blocked or impeded at any time.
- All events must be in compliance with Student Center and University rules and regulations.
- Any injury, accident or incident must be reported immediately to any staff member or Public Safety.
- There are to be no candles, or open flames, in the Student Center.
- There are to be no fueled vehicles or machinery in the Student Center.
- No fuel or paint may be stored in the Student Center at any time.
- In the event of a Fire Alarm, evacuation of the building is MANDATORY. See EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT PLAN details.
- In the event of a severe weather the Office of Student Activities & Organizations has the right to cancel any student event.
- Any Student Center equipment must be placed and set up by assigned Student Center staff only.
- All use of printed, audio, visual, and electronic information in the Student Center must comply with U.S. Copyright Law, and fair use standards. Inquiries must be directed to the Office of Student Activities & Organizations.
- All lost and found items in the Student Center are to be turned in to the Office of Student Activities & Organizations immediately.
- Bethune-Cookman University Department of Public Safety must provide all security provisions.
Room Reservations Policy
- All reservations must be approved seven (7) business days prior to the scheduled event.
- Reservations and rooms are not to be used for ongoing, regularly scheduled classes, so that we may accommodate as many requests as possible. The Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Student Involvement must approve any exceptions.
- Specific rooms requested will be assigned when possible, but the facility personnel reserves the right to make changes.
Room Usage Policy
- Meeting rooms will remain locked when not in use. Rooms will be unlocked one (1) hour before the scheduled event by Student Center Staff only, unless prior arrangements have been made, so reservation confirmation can be made.
- Student Organizations must have their advisor present at all times for any event.
- The sponsoring organization/department/community guest is responsible for leaving the room in the same condition as when the meeting/event started. If this is not accomplished a minimum fee $50 or more will be charged.
- Nothing is to be taped, tacked, or otherwise adhered to the walls in any manner.
- Any materials must be removed immediately following the event or meeting. A minimum clean-up fee of $50 or more will be charged to the organization/department for the removal of excess materials.
- Any damages cause during an event, the organization will be charged the full cost to repair.
- Solicitations on and off campus for subscriptions, sales of merchandise, publications or services other than by the regularly authorized food service, departments or divisions of the University are prohibited without the written approval from the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Development at least one week prior to the event.
- There will be no posting of notices or flyers that support or endorse candidates for political office.
- All advertisement must be approved by the Office of Student Activities & Organizations. Any items not stamped will be removed.
- There will be no posting of alcohol-related events, obscenities, slanderous material, or material containing racist or sexist statements. This would include, but not be limited to, advertisements that show and/or promote nudity, violence, racism, and sexism.
- All advertisements may be hung for two weeks prior to the event.
- Use of any bulletin board or authorized in the Student Center does not constitute an endorsement or guarantee of any product, service, or information by the Student Center or Bethune-Cookman University.
Facility Maintenance Policy
- The occupant is responsible for and agrees to be held accountable for actions of him/herself and those of his/her guests; for care of the assigned office, common area of the organizational suites, and University property.
- The occupant will take responsible action to protect and prevent the office and facility from reckless, or negligent damage; will refrain from encouraging or participating in activities which cause damage to occur; will report property or facility damage; and will take responsible action to assist the University in identifying individuals responsible for damage.
Game Room Policy
The Game Room is open to students, faculty/staff, administration, alumni and community guest.
- A form of photo identification (i.e. B-CU ID card) is required to utilize the game room.
- Smoking, chewing tobacco and alcohol are not permitted.
- The Game Room Attendant will supervise usage to assure equal usage of the pool and ping-pong tables.
- Restitution will be issued for replacement costs of any damaged equipment.
- To ensure the best and longevity of the Game Room equipment there will be no sitting, leaning or placing personal effects on any game tables.
- Gambling is strictly prohibited in the game room and elsewhere on the Bethune-Cookman University campus. Students or guests who gamble in the Game Room will be barred from the Game Room and may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Students may be suspended from the Game Room use for failure to adhere to any Game Room regulations.
Failure to comply with these policies and guidelines may result in the loss of privileges in the Student Center.
Fitness Center Policy
- Safety is the top priority and must be practiced at all times.
- Lifters are required to use spotters on every set.
- Lifters are required to use collars anytime there is weightlifting on a barbell.
- Tennis shoes must be worn and tied up for strength training.
- Place weights in their proper position after use.
- Strip all bars immediately after use. Return dumbbells to the rack in proper order.
- Food and drink of any kind are not permitted.
- Spitting or defacing the facility is not permitted.
- Profanity is not permitted.
- IPOD’s are allowed on the cardio equipment only.
- The staff is not responsible for theft, damaged or lost items.
- No sitting down or leaning on equipment unless it is exercise required.