Admission and Program Requirements
As the School of Education must comply with mandates by the State Department of Education (DOE), we want to remind you that prospective teacher candidates cannot be admitted into the Teacher Education Program (TEP) upper division without the proper credentials:
- Completion of all General Education requirements
- Passed all four (4) subtests of the FTCE General Knowledge (GK) Test
- Submit an application for admission into the Teacher Education Program (TEP)
- Have a 2.50 cumulative grade point average at the time of submission of application
- Make an appointment for an interview
Only after the completion of the above five items, will teacher candidates be allowed to proceed to 300-400- level education courses. If you have not yet passed all four (4) subtests of the FTCE General Knowledge (GK) test, please go online (www.fl.nesinc.com) as soon as possible, to register and establish an account. This is important! Teacher candidates will only be allowed to proceed to register for junior and senior level education courses once documentation is furnished indicating that all four (4) parts of the GK test have been successfully passed.
In order to register for EDB 352 Teaching Practicum (Practicum B), students must be admitted to Upper Division and have successfully completed ED 352 Contemporary Teaching Methods and EDA 352 Contemporary Teaching Practicum (Practicum A) with a passing grade of C or better.
Documentation of passing scores on the FTCE General Knowledge (GK), Professional Education, and Subject Area exams must be submitted to the TEI office by October 15 to intern during the spring semester, or by February 15 to intern in the fall semester. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! Study materials, computerized test questions, and tutors are available to assist you. Limited funds are available through the TEI office to assist qualified students with the fees required to take the state FTCE exams.
Criteria for Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Complete all General Education requirements
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50
- Pass all sub-tests of the FTCE General Knowledge (GK) Test (Math, Reading, English and Essay exams)
- A grade of “C” or better in EN 131, EN 132, MAT 131, Mat 132 (or Math equivalents, depending on the program), and SC 230.
- Students can complete the application for admittance into upper division by signing in to their LiveText account and selecting form E2.01 TEP Admission Application to Upper Division.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete the general education, professional core, and teaching specialty sequences, as specified.
- Satisfy all published requirements of the University and the College of Education
- Submit and defend a senior research paper as specified by university requirements.