Welcome. How may we serve you?

A-Z Glossary


Academic Advisor

Each student is assigned an advisor/Student Success Coach at the time of admittance to the University. Advisors are assigned according to the student’s major. Advisors are also assigned to undecided majors. The advisor will give advice on required courses and other pertinent academic information. It is the responsibility of the student to review his or her progress each semester with the advisor and to keep informed of changes, procedures, and regulations which may affect successful pursuit of a university degree.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

Students will be placed on academic probation or dismissed from Bethune-Cookman University for failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress. The minimum acceptable academic standing for all classifications is a 2.0 GPA and 67% Pace.

Semester Hours







0 – 27



Below 2.00

28 – 57



Below 2.00

58 – 91



Below 2.00

92 - and up



Below 2.00

Adding a Class

Students desiring to add a course may do so only during the registration period until the last day of late registration. Approval of the student’s academic student success coach is necessary before any course change can be made. Course adjustments are not completed until the appropriate form (Drop/Add Form) is submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Add/Drop Forms

This form is used to make changes to student schedules. Students retrieve Drop/Add Forms from their major area advisors or Office of the Registrar.  Students and major area advisors fill in classes to be added or dropped. The instructor must sign the form to indicate approval to overload class(es). Students take the completed drop/add form to the Registrar’s Office.  Students may add classes to their schedules until the end of the published add/drop period.  Students may drop classes until the deadline date (please see the current academic calendar). Fees will be assessed, however, if students do not drop classes by the end of the published add/drop period.

Application for Graduation

Senior students (92 or more cumulative earned hours) must meet with his/her academic advisor, complete an Application for Graduation Form, and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar 60 days prior to the start of the semester of graduation. The actual deadline date will be posted on the current academic calendar.  The degree application must list any courses that remain for the student to meet his/her major graduation requirements. The Registrar’s staff reviews the degree application for general education courses and notifies the academic advisor and the student of any deficiencies. Notification is sent to the student at their BCU email account only. If an applicant does not graduate as indicated on the application form, he/she must complete another graduation application. The graduation application is available in the Office of the Registrar and online at

The complete list of graduation requirements is listed in the current Undergraduate Academic Catalog at  http://www.cookman.edu/academics/catalog/index.html


 Blackboard – How to sign on to Blackboard (source:  Academic Computing)

1.   Access Blackboard from  http://elearning.cookman.edu or from http://www.cookman.edu.

2.   Login to Blackboard

Username: lead-in zeroes and your Wildcat Web, in total 9 digits (e.g., 000032145 or 000463217)

Password: same as your Wildcat Web PIN if this is your first-time login.  Otherwise, you can use your existing password.

If you do not remember your PIN or forget your password, click the link of “Forgot password?” right next to the Password box.  You will then be directed to reset your password.  You’ll need to provide your First Name, Last Name, and Cookman Email Address/or your Blackboard Username.

 3.   Call B-CU Blackboard User Support directly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:  1-866-223- 0140 for Blackboard password assistance or Blackboard browser setting issues.



Course Adjustment (Add, Delete, Cancel)

Faculty members may not change published class schedules without going through proper channels. The procedure for making changes in published class schedules may start with the faculty member presenting an Adjustment to Course Offering Form to the appropriate department head. If the department head approves the request, the faculty member then presents the form to the academic school dean for a second approval and submission of the request to the Registrar.

Course Equivalency

The Office of the Registrar evaluates transfer transcripts for credit to determine if courses are equivalent to the B-CU general education courses.  The Admissions Office sends transfer transcripts to the Office of the Registrar after students have been admitted to the University.

Course Overload

Students may request to be added to a class that is full. Students must complete the Add & Drop Form and obtain permission and signature from the instructor for the course that the students are trying to add. Students then deliver the form to the Office of the Registrar by the close of business on the last day to add.

Course Substitutions

A course substitution does not mean the removal of a course or grade from the transcript; however, students may request that transfer courses taken at other institutions be substituted for courses required in degree programs at Bethune-Cookman University. The substituted courses will not affect the student’s grade point average at Bethune-Cookman University.

Students may request that courses taken at Bethune-Cookman University be substituted for courses required in their major area for graduation. If students substitute a course for a major requirement, the rule for the course grade requirement of the major area applies to the substituted course. Substituted courses will not be used as grade forgiveness. Students must obtain the Course Substitution Request Form from the Student Success Center and obtain appropriate signatures for processing: the department chair of the area responsible for the substituted course, the dean of the academic school that offers the course, and the student success coach. The form must then be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing.


Dismissal Appeal

Appeal Process

Dismissed students may appeal the academic dismissal. Students may submit applications for appeal to the Student Success Center. In addition to the application for appeals, the student must meet with Student Success Center staff to develop an academic plan. Freshman students must meet with student success coaches in Freshman College.

The first application for appeal will be reviewed by an appeals committee to determine probationary approval for the next Semester. If after the probationary approval, students do not meet the minimum standards to remain at the University, they may submit a second appeal. Readmitted students will be required to complete an academic success plan. Readmitted students will receive official notification of the specific conditions, if they receive a favorable response to their appeal requests. Should the committee fail to recommend continuation, the student will be dismissed and will remain on academic dismissal for at least one Semester. In order to re-enter the University, following at least one Semester out on academic dismissal, students must complete a readmission application, which is available in the Office of the Registrar.


Diplomas are not released to graduates until all grades (including transfer grades) and test scores have been posted to the transcript. All final financial obligations, including the Financial Aid Exit Counseling Session, must be satisfied through the Student Accounts Office and the Financial Aid Office before a graduate’s diploma can be released. Graduates may request a duplicate diploma for a fee.  Students may access the Duplicate Degree Application on the Office of the Registrar website.

Dropping a Class

A student desiring to drop a course should initiate drop procedures with the classroom instructor. Approval by the student’s academic advisor is also necessary. A course may be dropped from the first day of classes to the last day of the drop period as defined in the University calendar or in registration procedures. Drops are not official until appropriate forms are completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. A reduction in course load may jeopardize a student’s eligibility to participate in campus activities and athletics or to receive financial aid benefits.


Enrollment Verification

The Office of the Registrar has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide

enrollment verifications. Students, parents, and financial agencies may contact the National Clearinghouse at  www.enrollmentverify.org. Students may print their own enrollment verification letters 24-hours a day by logging into their Wildcat Web account and using the Enrollment Verification link. Students may obtain letters from the Office of the Registrar in cases of emergency.


Full-time Course Load: In Fall and Spring semester, a full-time course load is 12 or more semester hours. For Summer Session, full-time course load is 9 semester hours.


Grade Appeal

A student has the right to appeal decisions regarding the final grade(s) in a specific course.

Before initiating a petition for appeal, the student should attempt to resolve the problem with the Instructor and/or department chair and school dean. If the student is unable to have the situation resolved at these levels, he or she may file an official Grade Appeal. Grade appeals must be initiated within 6 weeks after the conclusion of the semester in which the course(s) was

taken. Steps in the grade appeal process are listed in the current undergraduate academic catalog.


When students change their major from one academic school to another, a maximum of (8) failed

course Hours (“D” or “F”), or a maximum of two (2) courses, in one former major may be forgiven (i.e., not calculated in the cumulative grade point average.). This option is available only once. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate the process of the “forgiveness policy” by obtaining the appropriate approval from their student success coach and the Office of the Provost. Students must have officially changed their major and spent at least one (1) Semester in the new major (taking and passing at least one (1) course required for the new major). The completed form should be returned to the Office of the Registrar. General education courses are not eligible for grade forgiveness.


“I” (Incomplete) Grades

Instructors may issue “I” or Incomplete grades to students who, for legitimate reasons, have not

completed coursework at the time final grades must be submitted. At the time the request is

made, the student must be passing the course with the required minimum grade for the course. At the discretion of the instructor, an “I” grade may be given to a student who is experiencing extraordinary personal challenges but who has not formally requested an Incomplete grade.

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate action to remove “I" grade(s). Students receiving one or more "I" grades must report to the instructor(s) who issued the grade(s) within the first week of classes in the next semester of enrollment. The assignments needed to remove the "I" grade(s) must be completed within the first six weeks of the semester of re-enrollment. Failure to follow through with the steps to remove “I” grades will cause ‘I's to automatically revert to ‘F' grades.

Faculty and students must check the current academic calendar for the appropriate deadline dates. Faculty must obtain a blank  “Chan ge of  In comp let e  Grad e  For m ”  from the Office of the Registrar, and submit the completed form back to that office by the appropriate deadline.

Independent Study

1. Independent Study may take place only after other alternatives have been exhausted.

2. Independent Study must be approved by the instructor, the department chair, the school dean, and the Provost.

3. Independent Study may be taken only during the student's final two Semesters and only if there is an absolute need for the course in order to satisfy major area requirements for graduation.

4. Independent Study may be taken only by matriculating students who are in acceptable standing.

5. Independent Study may be administered only by full-time faculty.

6. Independent Study courses are limited to two (2) during the student’s matriculation.

7. A student will pay the normal course fee for an Independent Study course.

8. Under no circumstances will Independent Study be approved more than two weeks after the start of a Semester or after the first week of a summer session.

9. Independent Study must be for a course listed in the undergraduate catalog.

10. This Independent Study policy applies to all students.



A student may repeat courses in which he or she receives a “D” or “F” grade. The University

will only compute the Hours earned from the higher grade in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average (GPA). If a student makes the same grade in the repeated course, the grade for the repeated course will NOT be recalculated into the student’s GPA. The cost of a third repeat or any subsequent attempts of any course must be covered at the student’s expense.


Major Courses: Students are required to earn at least a grade of “C” in their major fields of

study. The University will only compute the Hours earned from the higher grade in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average (GPA). If a student makes the same grade in

the repeated course, the grade for the repeated course will NOT be recalculated into the student’s GPA. All grades, courses and Hours attempted/earned, remain a part of the student’s permanent record and affect a student’s financial aid standing.

General Education Courses: Students are required to earn a grade of “C” or better in English, Mathematics, Reading, and Speech courses: EN 131, 132 or (EN 134 & 135 Honors), MAT 131, MAT 132, MAT 134 or (MAT 135, 136 OR MAB 138), (MAT 141 & 142, Honors), RE 131, RE

260 (RE 261 Honors), SC 230 (SC 240 Honors). Students will be required to repeat these courses

if they earn a grade of “D” or “F”.


An Application for Re-admission, obtainable from the Office of the Registrar, must be submitted

by July 30 for the fall Semester or by November 30 for the spring Semester. Students who are inactive (not registered) for one Semester must complete an Application for Readmission. There is no fee to reapply. When a student fails to enroll for classes at the University for two consecutive Semesters, he or she must apply for re-admission and pay a nonrefundable

application fee of $25.00. The Office of the Registrar will notify the student, in writing, of the final decision and in a timely fashion. Students who have not enrolled at the University for two or more years are responsible for completing the most recent curriculum in their major area. These students may also be required to take oral or written examinations to demonstrate proficiency in undergraduate courses previously taken.

In order to reenter the University following at least one semester of academic or disciplinary dismissal, a student must complete a re-admission application.  When a student fails to enroll for classes at the University for two consecutive semesters, he or she must apply for readmission and pay a nonrefundable application fee of $25.00.


Schedule of Classes

To view a semester class schedule, sign on to the Wildcat Web as a Guest or use your login ID

and password.  Select the tab “Change the term” to choose a semester, e.g., Fall 2013-2014

semester.  Select the tab “Course Search” for the menu where you can select classes for a

specific school, department, instructor, or to view all classes offered for that semester. This menu also provides class times and days as well as a printable version.




Enrolled students may transfer credits but NOT grades from other institutions back to Bethune- Cookman University. Transfer grades are not computed in the student’s cumulative grade point average.


The courses offered by a regionally accredited college or university may receive consideration

for transfer based upon review by the office of the registrar, department chairs, and/or academic school deans. Only courses that are equivalent to the general education core courses or that may apply to any current academic major may transfer into the university.


There is a 10-year restriction on accepting previously earned credits. Courses/credits earned at

Bethune-Cookman University and from other regionally accredited colleges and universities will be evaluated by the appropriate department on an individual basis and are subject to approval by the Provost.

Transcript Request

Official transcripts of student academic records, for transfer to another institution or for any

other purpose, may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar upon written authorization by the student.  Written requests for transcripts are accepted by mail, fax, or walk-in.  Email requests are not accepted by the University.  As a safeguard against improper disclosure of academic information, no transcript request will be accepted over the telephone. The request form may be obtained from the office lobby or the Registrar’s web page at the following link: http://www.cookman.edu/academics/registrar/index.html. Bethune-Cookman University also

provides online transcript ordering through the National Student Clearinghouse (see the Transcript Request Policy on the Registrar’s web page).  Requests for official transcripts cannot be granted if the student has a balance.

A transcript of a student's record, received from another university or college, becomes a permanent part of the student's file at Bethune-Cookman. The transcript cannot be forwarded to another institution. Should a student need a copy of his/her high school transcript, he or she must make an original request from the institution.



Withdrawal from the University is not accomplished by no longer attending classes.

Withdrawing from the University is a process that involves several steps which must be followed in the prescribed order so as to avoid unnecessary expenses and/or failing grades. A student who wishes to withdraw from the University should pick up a Withdrawal Form from their Student Success Coach at the Parlin Center or the Office of the Registrar. The Withdrawal Form requires several clearances and the form cannot be processed without each required signature.

Proper withdrawal from the University will result in a notation of “W” being placed beside each course the student enrolled in the semester or summer term of the withdrawal. Failure to properly withdraw will result in F grades for each course.

Students that must leave the University without completing the Student Withdrawal Form must send a written statement to the Office of the Registrar by email or fax stating that they are withdrawing for the semester or else receive failing grades in all courses.  It is the responsibility of the student to contact the offices of Student Accounts and Financial Aid in order to take care of any financial obligations to the University.

The latest news from wildcat country...

Special Events
B-CU, SBA Offer Free Entrepreneurship Certificate Program

Bethune-Cookman University and the U.S. Small Business Administration North Florida are offering an Entrepreneurship Certificate program that is free and open to the public.


Search Our Site

Get In Touch

Call Us
(386) 481-2000
Visit Us

640 Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard
Daytona Beach, FL 32114View Map